A patent search is a search through existing patent literature
(patent specifications, patent applications, utility patents).
Article 29, paragraph 3 of German Patent Law requires the German Patent and Trademark Office (Deutsches Patent- und Markenamt - DPMA) to hold its own documentation on prior art, which can be used for patent searches.
H&H makes use of this database to find out whether a technical solution could give rise to patent conflicts, This involves the following steps:
1. Restricting the search criteria
2. Specifying the key word search
3. Documenting the search results
4. Grouping the results
5. Compiling a brief summary of the relevant results
6. Evaluating the results
7. Having the analysis checked by a patent lawyer
8. Documenting and presenting the results